Match Photo's

First Team vs Lordswood

Match Date: 29 August 2016
Score: 3-4

Match Report by Allan Hefferon 

Unfortunately for Bearsted this game had great resemblance to their previous games, not getting a just reward from a game that they could well have won. This said it took Lordswood just 8 minutes to take the lead when a poor ball from defence was intercepted by Daniel Smith only for him to be fouled on the edge of the area, the result of which allowing Jordan Gallagher to step up and score directly from the resultant free kick. This goal now put the visitors on the offensive and with Peter Huggens seemingly prominent in midfield and the pace of their wing men being particularly dangerous. However as the half wore on so the home side began to build their play and create chances of their own. Notably when Graeme Andrews got onto the end of a deep Michael Holliday free kick and then when a Jack West drive was parried away by goalkeeperJack Kelly. However, following the breakdown of an attack, the ball broke out to Tom Wooldridge for him to run on before putting in Gallagher in for him to send a low shot past Thomas Taylor into the net. Bearsted though showed Great Spirit at this stage, mounting a series of attacks as they went in search of a reply.Eventually they were to achieve this 3 minutes before the break, when they were awarded a penalty for a trip on Ryan Perkins as he moved in on goal. The result of which seeing Bradley Webb's spot kick saved by keeper Kelly diving low to his left, only for the ball to find its' way back to Webb to fire the ball back into the net. Incredibly immediately after this there was still time for the home side to present another gift to their opponents by allowing Gallagher to intercept a poor clearance, before rounding Taylor before sending the ball towards an empty net before Rob Lyall emerged to hook the ball off of the line.

Immediately after the break and with hopes now high of an equaliser, the home side were aghast when Gallagher, once more was allowed to run clean through on goal, only to be denied by advancing home keeper Taylor, making a save which kept the game alive. This proved to be an important intervention because after 58 minutes following a run down the right by Tom Brown, he was able to send over the perfect cross onto the head of Andy Irvine to steer the ball home from 12 yards. Following this the Bears were suddenly in control and did not have to wait long before going in front for the first time. This came again when the same provider once more found the head of Irvine for him to set up Keenan Mooney to score from the edge of the penalty area. However after a spell of great expectation, local joy eventually went sour when defender Helge Orome picked up the ball high out on the left to run on piercing the home back line to once more level the scores. Immediately after came the opportunity of a reply, when following some great control, Andy Hart shot narrowly wide instead of finding the net following a run into the visitor’s box. However with only 5 minutes of the game remaining so the final scoreline was sealed, when following some frantic defending, the ball found its’ way out wide to Douane West to send in a low cross from which Gallagher was on hand to complete his hat-trick. As with their previous game 2 days earlier, Bearsted once more very nearly saved the match right on time, when Sam Flisher in on goal, sent the ball high over, leaving his team asking the question of when will their luck change?
Team: T.Taylor, A.Foster (M.Garner) R.Lyall, G.Andrews, R.Perkins, M.Holliday, J.West, T.Brown, (S.Flisher) A.Irvine (A.Hart) K.Mooney B.Webb,
Subs: O.Bartrum