Match Photo's

First Team vs Hollands & Blair

Match Date: 03 September 2016
Score: 1-1

Match Report by Allan Hefferon 

This game proved to be a close affair throughout, played by two sides finding it hard to come to terms with both a hard surface and at times a difficult swirling wind. However it was Bearsted who should have gone in front as early as the first minute when a ball over the top found Tom Brown clear on goal only to see his shot fly high over the bar. At the other end it was James McDonald who had a run on goal brought to an end by a well timed interception by Jack West. During the first quarter so it might be fair to say that the visitors were enjoying most of the possession, but by the same token they were finding it difficult to created the sort of chances likely to seriously test Home goalkeeper Tom Burnham. Blaire adopting a more direct style, often saw their passes finding their way through to opposing keeper Scott Andrews. After 20 minutes then, it came somewhat of a surprise when a mistimed clearance was seized upon and crossed into the box creating some defensive difficulty, leaving Gary Lockyer the simplest of task of scoring from close range. As the game wore on so it maintained a similar pattern and at the half time whistle the Bears supporters were left wondering when might their fortunes change?

Following the break Bearsted reappeared in a more determined mood as they looked to find an equaliser, but on numerous occasions found themselves failing to find the right ingredient to find the net. Typically when Keelan Mooney on two occasions, not making the most of well placed free kicks. However on 65 minutes, following some tenacious play by Same Flisher, the ball was played to Mooney on the right to send in the perfect ball for Andy Irvine to side foot home from 10 yards. This goal triggered off a spell when the home side's defence marshalled by Ben Brown had to be at his best to in dealing with a series of potential goal scoring opportunities. However with the clock now running down so the game became more end to end and on one particular occasion a run and shot on goal by Sam Prescott was turned away by Scott Andrews driving low to his right. In addition to this Blair mounted a series of easier sending long high balls into the box the result of which requiring some stout defending from their opponents. The real chance of a winner though came when with only a few minutes remaining, a free kick from the edge of the area by Peter Williams hit the bar for the ball to came back onto the head of Rob Lyall for him to head back into the grateful arms of Burnham instead of him stirring the ball into the net, which based on previous weeks has been a regular ocurance so late in the game.
Team: S.Andrews, A.Foster, R.Lyall, G.Andrews, J.West, M.Holliday, M.Garner (S.Flisher) T.Brown(A.Hart) A.Irvine, K.Mooney (P.Williams) B.Webb,
Subs: S.Grant