Match Photo's

First Team vs Deal Town

Match Date: 06 September 2016
Score: 1-3

Match Report by Allan Hefferon 

In a game played end to end throughout by two evenly matched sides, it was Deal who was to produce the first major goal chance when goalkeeper Scott Andrews had to react quickly in scrambling a header by Connor Coyne off of the line. As the game began to settle so the threat became apparent that the home side’s pace in attack might become a real threat. So much so that after 25 minutes , a misdirected ball from defence, was seized upon by Charlie Walsh for him to run in on goal and thrash the ball home from the edge of the area. Bearsted’s response was almost immediate when a run by Tom Brown took him to the by-line, before sending in a cross which just eluded the incoming Andy Irvine. Unfortunately for them though, they were to go further behind 10 minutes later, when once again, Walsh was able to capitalise on some ill-judged defending to add his second. Fortunately for them the visitors only had only to wait another 3 minutes to pull a goal back, when a Brown cross into the box found Rob Lyall for him to glance the ball on for the incoming Bradley Webb to head home from close range. Somewhat lifted by this, the Bears now were to enjoy their best spell of the game and during this time came very close to an equaliser when a lob over the head of goalkeeper Chris Waymark by Irvine, was scrambled off the line for a corner. However the lead was further extended 2 minutes from half time, when a right wing corner was not dealt with very well, which in turn gave Dean Hill the simplest of task to toe the ball across the line.
Throughout the second half so Bearsted began to look more dominant as they looked to salvage something from the game. At the same time they needed to stay mindful of their opponent’s ability to hit them on the break and on a few occasions the runs of Paxman down the right and the threat of both Coyne and Walsh produced some ‘Hair raising’ moments for them. However during the final quarter, they were very unlucky not to have salvaged a point, when notably Brown, Irvine and Peter Williams came very close to scoring.
In conclusion, congratulations have to be given to Deal for achieving this result. However it is sad to say as an observation, that the behaviour of a group of young supporters, beating a drum and constantly barracking the Bearsted Keeper at both ends, immediately behind his goal for the whole of the game was less than ‘sportsmanlike’ Great shame when this word Respect is thrust at both players and supporters nowadays.
Team: S.Andrews, A.Foster, R.Lyall, G.Andrews, J.West, M.Holliday, S.Flisher T.Brown (S.Etienne) A.Irvine, K.Mooney (P.Williams) B.Webb (S.Grant)
Subs: B. Donnelly