Match Photo's

First Team vs Ashford Utd

Match Date: 11 March 2017
Score: 1-0

This result certainly contradicts the old saying
that tables never lie after Bearsted were able to inflict their second defeat
upon their ‘table topping’ opponents in very similar fashion to the first one
back in September. Certainly from the start, the home side were first to settle
and could have well have gone in front in the first minute when Matt Garner
just failed to connect with a lob over imposing goalkeeper George Kamurasi.
They also were able to enjoy much of the ball during most of the first half,
with good mid-field prompting and closing down, the result of which giving them
the opportunity of penetrating the visitor’s somewhat flat defensive line. A tactic
of which was to create further chances for their eager front men on several
occasions. However as the game wore on so Ashford were to come more into the
game with  their long passes, seeking out
the runs of wide men Jason Godchild and Rory Hill being of particular note.
Subsequently chances also arrived for them, notably when a shot by Adrian Stone
was well saved by Scott Andrews and then when Shaun Welford got around the back
to see his goal bound effort deflected by a remarkable block by Bear’s skipper
Rob Lyall. In addition to this saw a series of corners and free kicks, the
outcome of this resulting in efforts passing narrowly wide of the mark. However
at the same time Bearsted’s defence maintained its’ shape and their ability to
react and threaten their opponents always remained a threat. So much so that a
minute before half time, a run and cross by Peter Williams eluded the
outstretched arms of Kamurasi, which allowed the incoming Andy Irvine to head
narrowly wide of an unprotected goal leaving all still to play for.

The resumption after the break signalled the start
of a most dramatic half, one which providing the thought provoking idea that
maybe this was not going to be Ashford’s day? So much so that when a Goodchild
shot on goal from close range, was half stopped by Andrews with the ball
seemingly making its’ way into the net, only for it to be somehow diverted onto
the post by Lyall’s outstretched leg, back into the safety of Andrews’s
grateful arms. However, perhaps the real ‘game changer’ came midway through the
half, when a teasing pass from midfield set off Williams in pursuit of the ball,
an ambition also for the advancing Kamurasi. Unfortunately for him though it
was Williams who was to get there first, toeing the ball onto the keeper’s arm as
his momentum took  him outside of the
area, leaving the referee, obliged by the rules of the game, to send him off.
Following this dismissal, perhaps the home side might have felt even more
hopeful, as the dangerous prescience up front of Welford was removed with him having
to take over in goal. Although the impact on the game at this stage, was not
noticeably impaired as the visitors continued to get the ball forward and
indeed they did go close on several occasions. However, things were to get even
worse for them when their skipper Stuart West was dismissed for a second yellow
card. Although this now presented real defensive problems of which Bearsted
were now able to exploit, and following a series of great opportunities being
wasted, it was not until the 85th minute that they were able to go in front.
This came when a wing run and cross from the left by Williams, found Irvine at
close range for him to put the ball past keeper Welford. The final minutes then
became a very tense affair as United threw everything forward in search of an
equaliser. However, the Bearsted defence was in no mood to oblige and with the
sound of the final whistle, the visitor’s disappointed choir entrenched behind
the home goal were left with only their song sheets to take home with them.


Team:            S.Andrews, S.Flisher, Foster, R.Lyall,
A.Hart, M.Holliday, (O.Wells) G.Andrews, M.Garner, A.Irvine, R.Collins
(K.Mooney) P.Williams (C.Carcary)