Match Photo's

First Team vs Croydon

Match Date: 18 March 2017
Score: 2-4

Match report by Allan Hefferon

With both sides finding it very difficult to play a particular passing game on a somewhat uneven surface, each resorted to having to play long balls up to their front men. However it was from a corner that the home side were to take the lead after just 7 minutes, which was not defended well enough leaving Andy Mott with the simplest of tasks of heading in at the far post. With Bearsted now having to try and settle into some sort of rhythm they began to get forward more and were rewarded after 20 minutes ,when following a Luke Hughes throw, the ball was swept over onto the head of Same Flisher to head over goalkeeper Francis Ameyaw to find its’ way into the net. This goal did now signal the start of a period of positive attacks by the Bears, during which time Peter Williams broke in on goal only for him to try set up Flisher rather than seizing the opportunity to score himself and allowing Ameyaw to claim the ball. However it always seemed that throughout the afternoon their midfield was somewhat imbalanced and not able to provide the protection needed for their backline which left them constantly vulnerable to the long ball and threat of quick breaks by their opponents. Unfortunately for them though very soon before half time, after a break-down in attack the ball was cleared up the middle where Jeff Duah-Kessie was on hand to run on and hook the ball over Scott Andrews and into the net. However, as the teams went off for half time the game was still very much in the balance.
Unfortunately for Bearsted though and with lessons not learnt, they were to go further behind in exactly the same way, but this time it was Lauris Chin who was the man to send the ball past Andrews. It would be true to say that Bearsted did continue in their play to pull back the deficit, but the game was virtually sealed after 80 minutes, when as a result of a free kick from the edge of the area, Andrews could only palm the ball away into the path of Mott to add his second of the afternoon. Perhaps some consolation for the visitors came following the introduction of debutant Constantine Scarlet who 2 minutes from time produced the goal of the game, powering home home a scissor kick past the despairing arms of keeper Ameyaw.
Team:​S.Andrews, L.Hughes, Foster, R.Lyall, R.Golding M.Garner, C.Carcary (R.Collins) K.Mooney, O.Wells, (A.Hart) S P.Williams,(C.Scarlet) S.Flisher
Subs: ​M.Holliday, C.Croucher

, ​