Match Photo's

First Team vs Whitstable Town

Match Date: 01 April 2017
Score: 1-2

Match Report by Allan Hefferon

This particular result was certainly a cruel one
for Bearsted after having dominated most of the game. Indeed during the opening
10 minutes they could have well gone in front with some swift and decisive play
which saw a series of shots on goal failing to hit the target due to some last
ditch blocked defending. Unfortunately for them though they were to go a goal
behind very soon after when, following a corner the ball came out to Frankie
Sawyer for him to see his shot cannon back off of an upright and rebound kindly
into the path of Tom Bryant to put the ball into the net. This goal did signal
now a well contested period of even play with both sides being limited to
decent chances, one of which, most notably, when Peter Williams found himself
in on goal only for him to send his shot pass narrowly wide of the target.
However it was Whitstable who were to increase their score five minutes before
the break, when a well taken corner from the right was met by the head of an
unchallenged Bryant to score his second of the afternoon. The home side’s
response to this was very positive, as just prior to the half time whistle
Reece Collins did not make the most a glorious opportunity directing his header
just wide instead of finding the back of the net.

The start of the second half though saw the home side
first to hit the blocks and after 51minutes they were to pull a goal back, when
Cameron Croucher fed the ball to Lucian Scarlat for him on a run to the by-line
before crossing the ball into the box for the incoming Williams to send it into
the net. With all now to play for so the Bears were continuously on the front
foot, with the play of their main protagonist Scarlatt tormenting his marker
Harry Brown. So much so that the prospect of another goal looked inevitable.
Time and again they were to come agonisingly close, notably, when Constantine
Scarlat shot over from close range and then, when following a goalmouth scramble
somehow Ollie Wells just failed to toe the ball over the line. However, with
the clock running down the visitor’s were to present certain problems  on the break and did create a few chances,
two in particular when on each occasion balls sent over from deep found Sawyer
in dangerous positions only for him to be denied by well timed interceptions by
Graeme Andrews and Andy Foster. With the game now running into its’ late stages
so Bearsted’s final chance came when a low free kick from the edge of the area
by Michael Holliday past so narrowly wide of the foot of the left hand post, ultimately  leaving them wondering whether  this result might have had something to do
with the date of this fixture?


Team:          S.Andrews, S.Flisher,
A.Foster,G.Andrews, C.Croucher, M.Garner (C.Carcary) M.Holliday, R.Collins, P.Williams  (O.Wells) C.Scarlat, Lucien Scarlat

 Subs: S.Sage,
R.Golding, B.Donnely