Match Photo's

First Team vs Crowborough Athletic

Match Date: 18 October 2016
Score: 2-3

Match Report by Allan Hefferon 

This game certainly dispelled the old saying of ‘League Tables do not lie.’ Played in a good spirit with lots of pace and quality, it was closely contested throughout and was not settled right up until the final whistle. With Bearsted starting in a positive manner, they nearly went in front after just 5 minutes when Andy Irvine picked the ball up on the edge of the area to turn and send in a goal bound shot only for him to be denied by a great diving save by goalkeeper Dan Ellis. This effort was immediately followed by an effort by Matt Garner being denied in similar fashion. However having survived these early scares so Crowborough began to settle, producing some intricate passing play up front with major contributions coming from Henry Muggeridge and Zac Attwood and it took a smart save from Scott Andrews to prevent Lea Carey from putting his side into the lead during this spell. However that pleasure went to the home side after 14 minutes, when a Bradley Webb pass down the right deceived a back-peddling away defence, found Garner for him to run on, before sending in a low cross into the path of Irvine to send the ball into the net. Unfortunately for the Bears the lead was short lived, as soon after Sam Carrington was on target firing home from 15 yards. With the momentum now beginning to swing their way so the visitors were looking more likely to further the score? However this came with only 2 minutes remaining before half time, when a curling cross from the left found Adrian Stone at the far post for him to tuck the ball away from close range.
Bearsted started in bright fashion after the break and at times were producing the kind of chances to force an equaliser. However it was as a result of the break- down of one of their attacks that Crowborough were to extend their lead, when the ball was sent down the left, and following some neat play out wide, the ball found Carrington for him to score his second in similar fashion to his first. The Bears though were not prepared to lie down and it took only three minutes for them to reply, when a Sam Flisher run down the right took him to the bye-line before sending in a low cross, the result of which seeing Sam Crabb turn the ball into his own net. As the game wore on so Bearsted threw everything into attack looking for an equaliser and on several occasions this looked very likely, as both Irvine and Andy Hart were to go close to scoring during a period of desperate rearguard action. However the equaliser never came and as time eventually ran out the home side could only take comfort from a performance well worthy of kinder result?

Team: S.Andrews, S.Flisher, A.Foster, A.Hart, S.Sage (M.Cook) N.Perkins( L.Hughes) M.Holliday, M.Garner, B.Webb, A.Irvine, O.Bartrum (J.Hayes)
Subs: , B.Donnelly