Match Photo's

Under 18's KYL vs Greenwich Borough

Match Date: 25 September 2016
Score: 2-1

Bearsted continued their impressive start to the season with a 2-1 victory over Greenwich Borough in the cup. Borough came over to Honey Lane sitting at the summit of the North Division with a strong record in the league having won their opening three games.

Borough started the game by playing the ball around in their own half and Bearsted were more than content with letting them do this. However, Bearsted began to press the ball well which almost resulted in a goal for the home side when Will Richards intercepted an attempted pass by the Borough keeper, he played the ball through to Ryan Golding who tried to find Luke Snazel at the back post, unfortunately the pass didn’t reach Snazel as a Borough defender made a well-timed tackle to prevent the Bears from taking an early lead.

Bearsted were up for the game and you could tell when Albert Courtnell made a striding run forward, leaving two Borough players on the floor in his wake. The Bearsted team were working tirelessly up and down the pitch as each player was determined to give their all in order to progress to the next round.

Bearsted never really came under much pressure in the first-half and limited Borough to long shots that didn’t trouble Bearsted at all. Bearsted would be rewarded for a good first half display with a goal coming around the 35-minute mark. An over-hit cross would fall at the feet of Golding at the back post who had the presence of mind to calmly pass the ball inside to Tom Lindsey who slotted the ball away emphatically with his left foot. Bearsted would go into half-time with a 1-0 lead following a solid first-half performance.

Following the restart, Bearsted were able to settle in to a good rhythm early in the second-half. Chances were beginning to come Bearsted’s way more often and they almost doubled their lead with some nice link up play between the Bearsted front men which resulted in Snazel hitting narrowly wide.

20 minutes into the second-half, Bearsted were able to double the lead through Luke Snazel. Bears had a free-kick in their own half which Kieren Patel launched forward hoping that it might land at the feet of a Bearsted player. Much to his delight it landed perfectly for Snazel who did brilliantly to take the ball down from a fair height and on the turn he fired home a magnificent half-volley which took everyone by surprise.

Bearsted were becoming slightly tired and as a result Borough were able to engineer a few chances which was becoming an issue. Despite this pressure, Bearsted almost added a third in the form of Chris Carcary. Some excellent wing play link-up between Courtnell and Harry Hays resulted in Carcary receiving the ball on the edge of the box with a free shot at goal. Carcary was unlucky not to score as the ball skimmed the bar.

There was more to come following this chance as Borough struck back from a corner that Bearsted failed to deal with well enough and much to the joy of the Borough players, the attempted clearance fell to one of their players and they were able to pull a goal back with around 15 minutes to go.
The last 15 minutes would be nervy for Bearsted and Fraser Lee was required to make a few fine saves in the last few minutes from some of the Borough players. Nevertheless, Bearsted stood firm and managed to see the game out which meant that Bearsted were triumphant in their first cup game of the season as they knocked Greenwich Borough out with a well-deserved 2-1 victory.

Bearsted team: Fraser Lee, Will Richards, Kieren Patel, Callum MacGregor, Harry Whitfield, Albert Courtnell, Chris Carcary, Edoardo Cammarano, Tom Lindsey, Luke Snazel, Ryan Golding.

Subs (all used): Harry Hays, Jack Lee.