Match Photo's

First Team vs Cray Valley

Match Date: 10 January 2017
Score: 0-4

Following their loss to the same opponents only three days earlier, this match gave them the opportunity to avenge that result. Certainly they started much the brighter side and throughout the first 25 minutes they looked to be dominating much of the play, which in turn created a great deal of uncertainty for the away defence. It was a pity then that they did not make the most of the chances that fell to them, notably when Matt Garner went close only to be denied by goalkeeper Jordan Carey and then when Reece Collins went close after shaking off his marker Ashley Sains. However as the play wore on so Bearsted became guilty of not being able to play the right sort of balls from deep in order to sustain their early pressure. Indeed it was as a result of this, that Danny Smith was able to pick up the ball, before combining with Tom Youngs for him to run across the box to opened up the space for him to fire the ball past goalkeeper Greg Owen after 33 minutes. Three minutes later Cray went further ahead when Peter Smith picked up the ball out on the edge of the penalty area for him to hit a deflected shot past a wrong-footed Owen. On the stroke of half time though, the hosts suffered a real travesty, when for some extraordinary reason, the linesman completely failed to realise that wide man Denzil Gail was way offside and subsequently was able to run clear on goal to shoot and for the referee to award a heavily contested corner. The final outcome providing Taylor McDonagh the opportunity from scoring at the near post.
Following the break it was Cray who were now in the driving seat and able to dominate most of the play leaving Bearsted now trying to claw something back in order to get into the game once more. This proved even more of a tall order after just 10 minutes into the half, when a ball sent into the host’s penalty area, found Jason Thompson on hand to put the ball past the sprawling efforts of Owen to put the game beyond all doubt. The home side’s plight was not helped 20 minutes from time, when Bear’s skipper Rob Lyall, who after managing to Sheppard the ball into his keeper’s arms, suffered the indignation of being sent off by for what can only be described as most bizarre refereeing decision. However by this time game was pretty well over and Bearsted could only get some comfort from the fact that they were able to make sure that no further goals were scored as a result.
Team:​G.Owen L.Hughes, A.Foster, R.Lyall, S.Sage, G.Andrews, J.Hayes (M.holliday) N.Perkins, (C.Carcary) M.Garner K. Mooney, R.Collins(C.Lawrence)
S.Grant, B.Donnelly