Match Photo's

First Team vs Deal Town

Match Date: 07 February 2017
Score: 1-3

Following a stout performance in their previous game Bearsted never really appeared to be in command and at the end of this game they can only have themselves to blame for the final score, mainly due to three catastrophic errors in the second half. From the start it was Deal who started the brighter and during the opening 5 minutes goalkeeper Scott Andrews had to be at his best making two great saves diving low to his left to deny Steve O’Brien and Connor Coyne from opening the scoring. With both sides looking to pick out their men with long balls, so the visitors went close on several occasions. However at the other end, the home side, did have their moments, notably when the link up play of Keelan Mooney and Matt Garner resulted in Andy Hart firing just wide of the post. Indeed with neither side being able to capitalise on their chances the game remained well in the balance at half time.

Following the break Bearsted were the first team to go close, when a high free kick by Mooney into the box was not dealt with very well by keeper Chris Maymark, resulting in his punch finding Garner on the edge of the box, for him
to fire the ball back over an unguarded goal. Unfortunately for them though they were to be punished after 57 minutes when following a defensive misunderstanding, Charlie Walsh found the space to send in a deflected shot past a rooted Andrews. Things got even worse for the hosts 5 minutes later when a slack pass from midfield was picked up by Walsh for him to pass on to Jack Paxman to put the ball into the net. Due credit to the Bears, they were able to mount a positive response and should have pulled a goal back during one attack, when front man Andy Hart missed a guilt edge opportunity by heading straight into the arms of keeper Maymark. However they did get a breakthrough when Michael Holliday picked out the run of Ollie Bartrum for him to run diagonally across the edge of the area, before thrashing the ball home into the net. So the potential for an equaliser was on the cards and very nearly came about when Rob Lyall got onto the end of a deep cross to head narrowly wide from 5 yards. All hope though was lost 2 minutes from time when an interception by Andy Foster was passed back to Andrews who dwelt on the ball long enough for his clearance to hit the incoming O’Brien and go into the net. Immediately after saw Lyall once more reacting to a high cross before sending a close range effort high over the bar. However this effort would have been only a consolation with the final whistle coming very soon after, bringing to an end a game of which Bearsted could only agree t was not one of their finest performances

Team:​S.Andrews, L.Hughes A.Foster, R.lyall, O.Bartrum, G.Andrews, M.Garner (P.Williams) J.Hayes (M.Holliday) K.Mooney, R.Collins,(Sage)A.Hart
Subs: ​ ​B.Donnelly,C.Carcary