Match Photo's

First Team vs Whitstable Town

Match Date: 02 September 2017
Score: 1-2

This result for a Bearsted side severely affected by having to make a series of changes due to injuries and alike, was a real injustice and not for the first time being robbed of a result in the dying minutes of the game, this time due to two seemingly absurd penalty decisions being given. Playing against a side supposedly up there with the best, in truth never produced any real build up play, preferring to send long balls up trying to seek out their main front man Shaune Welford, a threat of which was more than matched by his marker Rob Lyall and with no goals being produced in open play. Things then, already facing a daunting task, the home side’s plight was not helped when after just 3 minutes the referee was quick to award a penalty resulting from some contrived theatrics, which in turn allowed Welford to step up and score from the spot. However it took only 6 minutes for them to silence the sound of the Whitstable ‘Oyster’ ensemble, when a fine cross ball from Cameron Croucher, picked out Reece Collins for him to run on and thrash the ball from the edge of the area past a rooted Dan Emson. Following this strike, so the game now had a decent balance, yet suffering the constant interruptions as a result of both fouls being given and a certain amount of intimidating play having its ‘affect, so much so that this situation was to remain the same throughout the whole match. Although much of the second half Whitstable were the team forcing the play, they were never really creating too many problems. Testimony to this then was that until late in the game, either side was restricted to just one decent effort, first when Scott Andrews was forced into a smart save to deny a run on goal by Charlie Smith and then when home debutant Ignico Garcia Fernandez headed just wide from close range. As the game then approaching a likely conclusion the hosts once more suffered another real injustice when a scrambled shot from the edge of the area saw the ball strike the arm of the prone Lyall and for the referee to award a penalty and for Welford to step up and win the game.
Team: S.Andrews, L.Hughes, R.Lyall, A.Foster, C.Croucher, J.Sellens,C.Epps, M.Garner, , C.Scarlet, (C.Carcary) R.Collins, L.Scarlet I.(Garcia Fernandez)
Subs: M.Blendell, J.White