Match Photo's

First Team vs AFC Croydon Athletic

Match Date: 10 September 2017
Score: 1-2

As was the case just two weeks ago this game turned out to be a very close affair throughout. Indeed, during the opening 3 minutes either side could have gone in front, first when Junior Kaffo forced a great save from Scott Andrews and then at the other end, following a through ball found Reece Collins to run on and shoot narrowly wide into the side netting. However after 16 minutes Bearsted were to go in front when a ball sent over from the right was picked up by Cameron Croucher to send in a cross-shot which eluded home keeper Francis to find the net via the underside of the cross bar. As a result of this success so it was the visitors who were to gain some momentum and could well have extended their lead on a few occasions, notably when Croucher very nearly reproduced his earlier feat, but more so after being awarded a free kick against Ignacio Garcia, they were able to exploit the static protestations of their opponents, with a quick ball through to Collins for his run on goal to be intercepted by the advancing Ameyaw. Unfortunately for them though these missed chances proved to be costly, when after 39 minutes they were to be punished, when a loose ball was seized upon by Morgan Jendan for him to send the ball home across the outstretched arm of Andrews to level the score.

Following the resumption after the break, it was Croydon buoyed by their goal who came back with seemingly more purpose and although Bearsted did have several opportunities, it was the hosts who's constant use of sending long balls from deep, who were to come closest to scoring, during which time Emanuel Oloyede hit the bar and on several occasions it was Andrews who was maintaining the scoreline. Things though did change following the introduction of substitute Andy Walker, who as a result of a wing run forced the corner from which Jack Higgins was able to head home at the near post from close range after 71 minutes. With Bearsted now having to push forward in their effort of saving the game, at times they rode their luck after now being exposed to several dangerous attacks on the break and although they contributed to a tense finale they were not quite able to take themselves into the next round.

Team: S.Andrews, S.Flisher, G.Andrews, A.Hart, C.Croucher, C.Epps M.Garner, Garcia, Fernandez,(L.Hughes) J.White (P.Williams) R.Collins, C.Scarlet,
Subs: ,M.Blendell, R.Golding