Match Photo's

First Team vs Beckenham Town

Match Date: 16 September 2017
Score: 2-0

This certainly was a game of two halves, one of which the visitors might well have been out of sight by half time. Indeed as early as the first minute they might have gone in front, first when Jack Britnell was allowed to shoot just wide from the edge of the area and then when goalkeeper Scott Andrews had to be at his best in denying Harry Ottaway. As play wore on so the momentum remained the same and with Bearsted struggling to settle into a playing pattern likely to cause particular concern for opponents who continually pushed forward in search of an opener. However, although during this period they were to go close, when Andrews turned around a goal bound free kick from Carzos Branco and then when both Brittnell and Archie Johnson volleyed narrowly wide. Perhaps due to a combination of frustration and over-confidence of their opponents, the home side gradually started to get into the game with wing their thrusts down the left now causing particular concern to for a defence now having to deal with a series of such attacks, notably, when Peter Williams flashed a header just wide from close range. However the eventual goal did come a minute before half time, when a corner from the left by Scarlat was deflected across rooted defenders and for Constantine Scarlat to head home at such a critical time and which ultimately proved to be a real game changer.
Following the re-start after the break, Beckenham seemed to have been dumbstruck by having conceded this goal and now having to deal with the attacks of their rejuvenated opponents, who at times were now managing to make real inroads into their defence and on several occasions were to come very close of further increasing the score. With the Bears now far more on the front foot and with the link up play of Cameron Croucher with Lucia Scarlet, coupled with the sheer tenacity of Williams up front, this was now a real possibility? No surprise then that after 82 minutes this became a reality, when as a result of a Scarlat run into the box, the ball found Williams for him to side foot into the path of Ryan Crouch to send home a sublime side footed effort high into the net from the edge of the area. Immediately after it could have been three, when a similar combination in attack just failed to find the mark. As for Beckenham, it is true to say that they were still able to manufacture goal chances, but far too often did not make the most of opportunities, notably when Britnell and Richard Atkiss both fired over the bar from close range. With the clock now running down, so the more feisty the game became, but when eventually the final whistle went, maybe it was for the visiting supporter to rue their team’s wasted opportunities, but for the home one’s being satisfied with coming to terms with seeing their side produce a sterling performance at both ends of the pitch.
Team: S.Andrews, L.Hughes, S.Flisher, G.Andrews, C.Croucher, M.Holliday (C.Epps) R.Croucher, R.Golding,(J.Sellens) P.Williams C.Scarlet L.Scarlet (J.White)
Subs: J.Sherlock, K.Sutton,