Match Photo's

First Team vs Hollands & Blair

Match Date: 27 September 2017
Score: 4-2

Report by Allan Hefferon

n the back of a great result in their previous game, Bearsted were finding it hard to get into their stride and at times really riding their luck and far too often being guilty of giving the ball away, which in turn gifted the opportunity for their opponents to exploit such a situation. Indeed with the crosses of wide men Bradley Webb and Louis Valencia causing particular concern, they really should have gone in front during this time when Webb set up James McDonald for him to rattle the bar from close range. However after surviving such onslaught so the visitors came more into the game and notably seeing Rob Lyall and Constantine Scarlat both coming close to opening the score. However the deadlock was eventually broken after 22 minutes when Sam Flisher found his way into the area to hook the ball over, finding Peter Williams on hand to steer the ball past home keeper Mark Sitton into the net. Now encouraged by this success, so the Bears now found themselves very much on the front foot, but saw several good opportunities going to waste and by the same token still having to be aware of conceding an equaliser on the break. Unfortunately for them this event was to happen after 31 minutes when a free kick from deep found Webb wide out on the right, to run on and send the ball onto the head of McDonald to score from 5 yards past a rooted Scott Andrews leaving the game still in the balance at half time.
Just before and throughout the whole of the second half came torrential rain, which played a major part in the rest of the game, particularly for the hosts who now had to both defend the slope and the sheer pace of the ball off of a soaked surface. Their plight was not improved after 48 minutes, when a run into the area by Scarlat was brought to an end by the arm of a grounded Ben Brown, earning him a red card and for the referee to point to the spot from which allowed Peter Williams to step up and put the ball away. Following this, so the pace of Williams became a real threat, as he was continually able to exploit the conditions, chasing down long balls sent over the top from the back. It was following such a run that he was able to pull the ball back from the bye-line for Scarlat to sweep the ball home from 5 yards. In addition to this, 3 minutes later he was to find himself in on goal to hook the ball over the advancing Sitton and to complete his hat-trick for the evening. However, almost immediately after, once more he found himself in a very similar position but this time not managing to put the match out of sight. Credit though has to go to Blair, whose hopes of a win now looked unlikely; they were able to get themselves once more back into the game. So much so that after going close on several occasions they were to make a reply after 66 minutes when a left wing corner from Valencia was headed into the net by Craig Cooley from close range. With still enough time left, the game now provided some nervous moments during which Bearsted had to remain resilient and not letting the game slip from their grasp. However at the same time, they were able to introduce debutant Ehis Izokun into the fray, which turned out to be a very effective ploy, one of which gave concern at the other end and also ensuring that the his team saw things out right up until to the final whistle.

In conclusion great credit has to go to Peter Williams who not only got a hat-trick this evening, but also for him to have reach the milestone of his 100th goal for Bearsted Football Club, who have to both congratulate him for this achievement whist at the same time acknowledging the efforts and loyalty of, this popular player over several years.
Team: S.Andrews, S.Flisher, G.Andrews (E. Izokun) R.Lyall, C.Croucher, C.Epps, M.Garner, R.Collins P.Williams (J.White) C.Scarlet(J.Sellens) A.Hart
Subs: M.Blendell