Match Photo's

First Team vs Rusthall FC

Match Date: 30 September 2017
Score: 2-0

By A. Hefferon

From the start it was Bearsted who were the team who started the more brightly and it took them just 2 minutes for them to find the back of the net when a corner from the right by Charley Epps was met by the head of Ehis Izokun, only for their celebrations to be dampened when the goal was ruled out by a linesman’s flag for an infringement. However they did not have to wait long for an opener when Epps combined well with Reece Collins for him to find Constantine Scarlat to head home from 10 yards. This goal certainly signalled a spell of dominance as the pace and runs on goal by the Bears front men were causing real concern for Rusthall’s back pedalling defenders, during which time saw Collins firing into the side netting and Izokun sending I his shot over from the edge of the area. However it was Peter Williams who was to have the best of chances when, after seizing onto a through ball , ran on goal to chip over advancing goalkeeper Joe Cullip, only to see his effort go agonisingly wide of the unguarded goal. Although the visitors were finding things difficult, they still managed to seek a way through the home defence and very nearly equalised just before half time as a result of a left wing corner, the ball fell to Drew Crush for him to hook the ball onto the crossbar and falling to safety.
Following the break the pattern of remained much the same and almost immediately the hosts almost added a second, when Collins got clear only to see his goal bound effort denied by a great one handed save by Cullip. Although Bearsted' s potential opportunities were to continue and with maybe some frustration having crept in, so their opponents remained well in the game and still quiet likely of pulling back the single goal deficit and although the home side's defence remained sound, on a few occasions, notably when a shot from Josh Sinclair went narrowly wide this almost happened. However any Bearsted anxiety was to go away when after 88 minutes, as result of a Graeme Andrews interception, the ball found Matt Garner in a tight situation, to set up Ryan Croucher to score from 8 yards and at last seal the result.
Team:​S.Andrews, S.Flisher, G.Andrews R.Lyall, C.Croucher, C.Epps (R.Croucher) M.Garner, R.Collins P.Williams (C.Emnenyi) C.Scarlet (J.Sellens) E. Izokun
Subs:​R.Golding, J.White,