Match Photo's

First Team vs Rochester Utd

Match Date: 21 October 2017
Score: 1-0

Match Report by Allan Hefferon
Despite the difficult windy conditions this game was a close affair throughout, played in the right spirit, seeing the home side being pitched against most youthful and enthusiastic opponents. Certainly from the opening whistle Rochester started very brightly and might well have gone in front when John Rodgers saw his goal bound effort being scrambled off the line by a Graeme Andrews interception. Not long after this it was Andrews at the other end that was on hand to send a shot over as a result of a Billy Jones corner. With the half wearing on and the game still very much in the balance, chances were to fall to both sides, notably for the visitors, from a left wing corner Reggie Yembra set up Lewis Wood to hook the ball narrowly over the bar. However it was during this spell that Bearsted were producing some neat build up play down each flank, with the trickery of their wingman Ehis Izokun and Lucian Scarlet causing most concern. Most notably when from such raid Chris Carcary combined well with Reece Collins to send over a cross onto the head of Constantin Scarlat to send the ball narrowly wide of the target.
Following the half time break and now with the wind in their backs it was Bearsted who were now able to push positively forward and they were eventually to go in front after 57 minutes, when following a right wing Jones corner, a Rob Lyall header towards goal resulted in a great save by Tony Coxall only for the ball to fall into the path of Collins to thrash the ball home from 5 yards. However, soon after the hearts of the home supporters were to go into their mouths, when following an under hit back pass, home keeper Scott Andrews was forced into a challenge on the incoming Alfie Cue just outside of the area, leaving it to the referee’s judgement to administer a yellow card. As the game ran down and with the home defence seemingly coping with Rochester’s open play, they were still guilty of giving away several free kicks from dangerous positions which on occasions could have been most costly. However with 10 minutes remaining the lead should have been extended, when Collins found himself in on goal only to see his shot fly over the bar. However at the sound of the final whistle the home side were able to be happy at bringing to an end a run of negative recent results.
Team: S.Andrews, L.Hughes G.Andrews R.Lyall, W.Jones, M.Garner, C.Carcary, E.Izokun(J.Sellens) R.Collins, (J.White) C.Scarlat (J.Sherlock) L.Scarlat
Subs: M.Blendell, C.Emenyi