Match Photo's

First Team vs Rusthall FC

Match Date: 25 November 2017
Score: 2-1

A close run contest throughout this game brought together two sides of contrasting styles with the home side's more direct approach being matched by the more concise passing game of their opponent's, one of which for much of the half was seen to be effective and likely for them to manufacture a lead. However at the same time they needed to be mindful of the dangerous potential of the host side’s front men Steve Smith and John Sebbar, who on various occasions saw them both, going close. Bearsted though should have gone in front during this time, when a great cross-field pass from Ryan Croucher found Reece Collins out on the left to run into the area only for his effort to be saved for by keeper Callum Christie. Maybe though the real chance of the half came soon after, when a direct ball through the middle sent Constantine Scarlat in on goal confronted only by goalkeeper Christie but somehow managed to send his shot narrowly wide of the right hand post. However this privilege was to fall to Rustall at a most crucial stage a minute before half time, when following a smart save by Scott Andrews from Smith, the ball was only cleared to the edge of the area to find Sebbar for him to curl home a shot high into the left hand corner of the net.

Following the resumption though, it took Bearsted only 4 minutes to level the score, when following some neat build up play, a Scarlat cross found his incoming brother Lucian to thrash home an unstoppable volley from 12 yards. Following this set back though Rusthall’s response was almost immediate when a ball from deep found John Phillips lurking at the far post for him to hook the ball inches wide of the upright. Similarly at the other end Collins was to suffer a similar disappointment, but this time seeing his shot finding the side netting from close range. However it was the visitors who were to get the ultimate winner after 73 minutes, when Collins combined with Scarlat to provide the cross whereby returning the compliment to brother Constantine for him to score in very similar fashion past a rooted Chrisie. As the clock ran down so the need for another goal became a necessity for the hosts, which they did by sending balls into the heart of the Bear's defence, which at times provided real anxiety for them and needing the utmost commitment to see the game out. However just minutes before the end a pin-point Scarlat cross found the head of Collins only for him to be denied by a wonder save by Christie at point blank range and keeping his side's hopes still alive right up until the final whistle.
Team:​S.Andrews, S.Flisher, G.Andrews, R.Lyall,C.Croucher R.Croucher (C.Epps)) M.Garner, J.White (C.Carcary C.Scarlat, R.Collins, L.Scarlat
Subs:​ ​J.Sellens L.Hughes E.Valionis