Match Photo's

First Team vs Tunbridge Wells

Match Date: 24 March 2018
Score: 4-1

By A. Hefferon

played on a difficult surface this game was a well contested match throughout, only to be settled quite late in the game. However it was the home side that were to take the lead after just 5 minutes when a left wing corner found the head of Ian Parsons to head home from close range with the visitors still trying to settle into a reasonable pattern of play. As the match wore on though, so they were able to come to terms with the situation and on numerous occasions their build up play and the wing threats of David Baranowski and Lucian Scarlet was presenting real concerns for the hosts, who had to be thankful for the heroics of their goalkeeper Cameron Hall for preventing an equaliser, notably when pulling off a great save from Constantine Scarlet and then when turning over a point blank header from Peter Williams over the bar. The resultant corner did though provide the opportunity for Rob Lyall to bullet a header over the bar and very soon after when Peter Williams went close, leaving away supporters wondering whether it was not going to be there day. This notion was dispelled after 34 minutes through unfortunate circumstances, when Jack Hislop turned the ball into his own net when trying to defend a low cross by Baranowski. Bearsted though still had to be mindful of trickery of Franco Mici and just before the break were caught flat footed when Jon Pilbeam found himself in on goal only for him to be denied by a smart save by advancing away keeper Scott Andrews.

Following the break and the introduction of Alex Kendall into midfield so Tunbridge started in a more positive way beginning to produce several chances, notably when Jack Harris sent his effort into the side netting after getting onto the end of a deep cross from the right. In addition to this also saw a series of free kicks from dangerous positions not being made the most of and with the Bearsted backline remaining solid so the game became to swing in the other direction. The breakthrough did eventually come after 65 minutes when a free kick by Ryan Croucher was swept onto the head of Cat Scarlet to send the ball over a leaping Harris and into the net. This strike did become significant as the visitors were now able to once more impose themselves onto the game, particularly down each flank with their wide men being a real threat. So much so that they should have gone further in front, first when a Reece Collins run took him in on goal and then when Scarlat forced another save from Hall. However as with the first half it took own goals to play their part when a Williams’s low cross was defected in by Ollie Cooke after 79 minutes and in similar circumstances after 90 minutes the same players were able to seal the game in very similar circumstance

Team; ​Scott Andrews, Sam Flisher, Graeme Andrews, Rob Lyall ,Cameron Croucher Matt Garner, Ryan Croucher (James Coppins) David Baranowski (Reece Collins) Constantine Scarlat Peter Williams, Lucian Scarlat (Ehis Izokun)

Subs;​​Edas Valionis,