Match Photo's

First Team vs Canterbury City

Match Date: 02 April 2018
Score: 2-2

By Allan Hefferon

Played on an unusually difficult surface that fell victim of the heavy overnight rain, both sides were able to produce a well contested game likely to please the supporters that made it on a holiday afternoon. However as with their previous game Bearsted were to look fully in control yet still not able to score the goals likely to seal the game during the first half, with their opponents having to thank their goalkeeper Jack Deco for this mainly being the case. With the home side's build up play and chances created, it looked inevitable that they would score, notably when on two occasions Peter Williams found himself in on goal only to be denied by point blank saves by the advancing Deco, added to which seeing both Ryan Croucher and David Baranowski going narrowly wide. For the visitors, in reply, they were finding certain success seeking out the wing runs of a willing Tom Barton and on one certain occasion finding him in on goal only to shoot at a rushing Scott Andrews instead of finding the net. However just before half time so this act became a reality when a long ball down the right caused some confusion for the home defence resulting in Andrews racing out of goal for Matt Martin to win the race and lob the ball over his head for the ball to run on towards goal to by helped across the line Billy Lewins.
Following the resumption so the pattern of play was to remain the same and Bearsted thought they had got their reward when a following a goalmouth scramble the ball fell to the feet of Williams only for him blast the ball over from close range. However after 63 minutes they were to equalise, when a Williams run and cross found Lucian Scarlat wide on the right to send the ball back for Reece Collins to head home from under the bar. Although Canterbury was positive at times, they had to defend deep and somewhat reliant on Lawrence Harvey and Joshua McCollum in having to deal with coping with the momentum of play. The host eventually were to go in front after 79 minutes when Baranowski seized onto to misplaced clearance to send the ball back low across Deco to find its way into the corner of the net. Very soon after they thought they had gone further in front when as a result of a right wing corner they had the ball in the net only for them to be denied by a lineman’s flag for an infringement. As the game wore on though, a ball sent forward caught the home rearguard on the back foot, the result of which saw a run on goal brought to an end by a Matt Garner challenge to concede a free kick, one of which saw Lewis sending the ball into the net to salvage a point.
Team; ​Scott Andrews, Flisher, Graeme Andrews(A.Hart) Edas Valionis,
,​Cameron Croucher, Matt Garner, Ryan Croucher (James Coppins) David Baranowski, Reece Collins, Peter Williams, (Constantine Scarlat) Lucian Scarlat

Subs: ​ Ethis Izokun, Andy Foster​