Match Photo's

First Team vs Sporting Club Thamesmead

Match Date: 14 October 2017
Score: 1-4

By Allan Hefferon.

Considering Bearsted's league status it might have been expected that they should not had much difficulty with moving into the next round of the competition. Indeed this certainly looked like it might well have been the case during the first 20 minutes as they began to create several gilt edge chances, in particular when Ryan Golding headed narrowly over a Reece Collins cross and then when Matt Garner volleyed onto the post from close range following some neat right wing build up from play on the right by Collins And Golding. Although seemingly the home side looked to be in control they still have to be mindful of the runs on goal of Jerome Wade and threat of Josh Patrick, who during which time should have put his side in front firing just wide of the post. However the home side eventually go into the lead, when and run and cross by Ethis Izokun found Collinis to force a great save from Charlie Martin, only for the ball to find Matt Garner to send it back into the net after 20 minutes. Unfortunately for them though their lead was to last only 2 minutes when a cross into the box from the left was not well defended, the result of which providing the perfect opportunity for Ryan Minnott to force home an equaliser. At this stage the assumption was still favouring the hosts who continued to push forward and they looked like they would go in front once more, when a Collin’s effort cannoned off of the bar, coming down into the path of a diving Garner to head the ball wide of an unguarded goal. Remarkably soon after, during the same attack, both Scarlat and Collins hit the bar which suggested that this might not be their team’s day? This certainly proved to be the case when 2 minutes before the half time break, a ball from deep by Tony Hill saw both Rob Lyall and Patrick simply coming together in the race on goal and for the ball to run on to Bearsted keeper Matt Blendell. What followed this was a remarkable decision by the referee way behind play to award a penalty, one of which did not seem to have been substantiated by any raised flag in support. In addition to this came further disbelief when Lyall was shown a red card which allowed Patrick to put his side now in the lead. This decision proved to be a serious game changer, leaving Bearsted now having to rearrange their side in order of finding a way of still winning the game?
Somewhat shell shocked after the resumption it took only 7 minutes for Thamesmead to answer any of their doubts, when first Mudiago Wanogho scored a third and then when Minnott was allowed the opportunity of heading home his second at the far post. Although it might be true to say that the Bears did put up a stout fight during the second half, it was also looking to be one of damage limitation and although they were to create further chances, these were too little too late. In conclusion though at the final whistle they could only think of what might have been? Whilst at the same time being magnanimous in defeat and wishing their opponents a good run in the next round.
Team:​M.Blendell, S.Flisher, (L.Hughes) G.Andrews R.Lyall, C.Croucher, M.Garner,W.Jones) R.Golding (R.Croucher) R.Collins, C.Scarlet (C.Carcary) E. Izokun
Subs:​J.White, S.Andrews