Match Photo's

First Team vs Glebe

Match Date: 23 September 2017
Score: 3-1

As with certain recent weeks it was Bearsted goalkeeper Scott Andrews who was immediately called into action from the very start, first making a smart save from Adrian Stone and then turning around a wicked goal bound, deflected shot. However, these two efforts proved to be almost as close as the visitors we're to get during this half in trying to break down a defence, magnificently marshalled by returning skipper Rob Lyall, which proved to be a great foundation from which to mount several dangerous attacks. Indeed they should have gone in front when Cameron Croucher fed through a ball for Lucien Scarlat to cross onto the head of his namesake Christian, to head over a clear opportunity from point blank range. The Bears though did not have to wait long as almost immediately after, following the same combination down the left, the ball found Peter Williams to head home from a very similar position. Although Glebe did try to respond in a positive way with the efforts of both Luke Miller and Jess Darko posing potential threats, far too often they failed to make inroads in on goal, except maybe when not making the most of two free kicks from prime positions. Unfortunately for them though they were to fall further behind after 28 minutes when following a free kick on the right, Sam Flisher swung the ball into the box for Williams to add his second of the afternoon. In truth the score might well have been increased when following a goalmouth scramble, Scarlat was on hand to seize the ball to send in a half hit effort back onto the post before falling to safety.

After the half time break Glebe certainly came back out with more purpose and during this early spell they began to create the sort of chances, which in turn, demanded the same degree of discipline from the host's defenders. However after 55 minutes, Bearsted were to go three up, when a ball along the right was chased down by Williams to set up Reece Collins to thrash the ball home into the net. Following this strike though, the whole game was to turn on its' head, when a run into the box by Miller came to an end, came the curious award of a penalty without any appeals from any away players, which was only confirmed by the sight of Miller with the ball in his hands for him to step up to send it past Andrews. Now with time still on their side and buoyed by their goal the visitors now found the momentum to take them forward, so came another blow for Bearsted, as a result of another questionable decision, when one of their key player Scarlat, was dismissed for seemingly a high foot offence, for what appeared to be an awkward coming together of two players? With the home side now having to dig deep in defending the scoreline for the remainder of the game and having to cope with a series of corners, one of which they also had to be thankful for the sight of Joe Tennant flashing a late header just over the bar. However in conclusion, should any of the setbacks have denied Bearsted their win, it would not have been unreasonable to say that on the day, this would have been an injustice.
Team:​S.Andrews, S.Flisher, G.Andrews,R.Lyall, C.Croucher, C.Epps, M.Garner, R.Collins (J.Sellens) P.Williams (J.White)C.Scarlet,L.Scarlet (A.Hart)
Subs:​L.Hughes M.Blendell