Match Photo's

First Team vs Crowborough Athletic

Match Date: 24 April 2018
Score: 1-0

By A. Hefferon

Early exchanges suggested that the home side might be in for a difficult evening, against opponents keen on keeping their title hopes alive. Certainly they were to start brightly enough, during which time seeing Henry Musgrove finding himself clear to fire over the bar and the when Adam Stone headed narrowly over from a left wing corner. As for Bearsted, although they were coping well with what was being thrown at them, they were often guilty of not being able to find their front men sufficiently enough to create real goal scoring opportunities. However mid-way through the half they very nearly did go into the lead, when a misplaced back pass was seized upon by David Baranowski to run into the area only for him to be forced wide by goalkeeper Ryan Burridge which prevented him from turning the ball into the net from a tight angle. The contest itself though remained a tight affair as play went from end to end and with both sides at times being guilty of misplacing good passing opportunities. Added to this, the loss of Bearsted skipper Rob Lyall through injury, did add further concerns for them. The deadlock though was broken just before half time when a run and cross by Sam Flisher was not cleared well enough and for the ball to fall to Ryan Croucher on the edge of the box to volley low into the left hand corner past rooted keeper Burridge.

Following the break so the hosts returned in bright fashion and could have gone further in front soon after, when a ball was sent over caused certain confusion resulting in defender Tom Boddy heading goal bound and for Burridge to produce a fine save as the ball made for the top corner of the net. Soon after they also did manage to get the ball into the net when shot on goal by Constantine Scarlat was saved by Burridge and for the ball to be put in by Peter Williams only to see his effort being denied by an offside decision. With the game now heating up and tensions rising, both sides were reduced to 10 men with chances falling to both sides, but notably when both Stone forced a smart save from Scott Andrews and when Zac Atwood sent the ball over instead of hitting the target. However as the clock ran down so the need for an equaliser forced some frustration for the visitors as they choose to adapt their play resorting to sending long balls and crosses into the Bearsted penalty area in their attempt to break down their defence, which at times had to ride their luck but on the night remained totally committed right up until the final whistle and so deserving of their victory.
Team; S. Andrews, S Flisher, G.Andrews R. Lyall (Edas Valionis) C. Croucher, M. Garner, R.Croucher, R. Collins (A. Hart) A. Hart, P.Williams, C.Scarlat D.Baranowski

Subs; Ethis Izokun J.Coppins,