Match Photo's

First Team vs Chichester City

Match Date: 11 August 2018
Score: 2-1

By A. Hefferon

Bearsted were able to progress to the next round of this prestigious competition with what turned out to be a well fought and competent performance. However it was their opponents who were to go in front after just 3 minutes when a right wing, in swinging corner by Ellis Martin found the head of Dan Hegarty to score leaping through a ruck of defenders. This strike did signal an air of confidence for them with an expectation that they might well go on to a high scoring win and indeed during this period they did go close, notably when Scott Jones and Tiago Andrabe combined well to set up the incoming Connor Cody to power a header narrowly wide. For them though this was an ambition that would never happened, as the home side's reaction was an effective one, settling down and producing some controlled passing and build up play, countering the more direct approach of the visitors. This gradually helped them seize the initiative and allowing them to exploit the wing runs of both Reece Collins and Lucian Scarlat as being of particular note. Indeed it was Scartat who might well have equalised when a run on goal took him in only to see his effort pass narrowly wide. In addition to this seeing a similar chance for David Baranowski for him to also to be disappointed and with half time looming, so saw a series of corners causing further concern for the away defence.
Following the resumption, so play flowed end to end, but as the half wore on so Chichester somehow lost the coherence they had in the first half, which allowed Bearsted to take the initiative and with Scarlat now causing real problems, an equaliser looked inevitable. This did indeed happen after 60 minutes, when David Baranowski received a square pass to send in low shot past the outstretched arm of goalkeeper Jordan Matthews and into the net. Following this strike so saw the Bears very much on the front foot and able to produce some great opportunities and with the visitors under a great deal of pressure but fortunately for them having Cody in their midst to help with their cause, during which time saw Matt Garner head onto the cross-bar. However as the clock ran down so the score remained even with the game still in the balance and with a replay likely to be the outcome. This notion though was dispelled in the 89th minute when Garner seized possession to slip the ball to Jack Sellers out wide to send in the all important pass into the box, finding Lucian Scarlat to run on goal to steer the ball past keeper Matthews to wrap up the game.

Follow Team; S.Andrews, S Flisher, J.Hammond, R. Lyall, C.Croucher, D.Baranowski
G.Andrews,( M.Hathway) M.Garner, R.Collins (Williams) C.Scarlat,( J.Sellens) L.Scarlat

Subs; C.Alen, R.Golding