First Team vs Bexhill Utd

Match Date: 01 September 2018
Score: 4-1

By A Hefferon

The opening stages of this game provided two closely matched teams and as early as the second minute the visitors could well have taken the lead when Jamie Rump sent in a fierce drive forcing a great save by home goalkeeper Kit Warner diving low to his left. During this time also saw slightly different styles with Bearsted trying to implement their passing movements whilst being matched by their opponents driving long cross-field balls searching out their wide men with Jack McLean looking particularly dangerous. However at the other end Reece Collins found himself in the clear and choosing to feed his strike partner Peter Williams only for his pass to be finely intercepted by skipper Danny Leach. However after 16 minutes the home side were to go into the lead when Collins, coming in from the left found David Baranowskil lurking on the edge of the area to fire home high into the right hand corner of the net. The response was almost immediate when a Danny Leach run on goal found him in a great position from which he fired narrowly over the bar. Five minutes later though Baranowski put Collins in to force a save from Dan Rose, only for the loose ball to fall behind Ryan Croucher to back heel onto the net from close range. This strike now gave a different complexion to the game for the visitors, but understandably they somewhat lost a bit of edge from their game shown earlier in the half.
Following the resumption after the half time break, the hosts just fell short of a third when a left wing Baranowski cross found the head of Williams to shade the right hand post which kept the game alive and although Zac Mcenry and Nathan Lopez worked tirelessly hard they constantly found themselves trying to break down a defence now playing with much confidence. As the half wore on so several chances to increase the lead came along, most notably when Williams found space at close range only to send his effort high over the bar and then when a run into the box by Baranowski finished with him forcing a wonder save by goalkeeper Rose. However after 80 minutes came the all important 3rd goal when Hathaway fed Williams down the left to send in a low cross for Collins to head home at the far post. With the game now effectively won and with the clock now running after 88 minutes came the real clincher when a Matt Weller cross caused enough confusion which allowed Ryan Croucher to add his second of the afternoon. Remarkably though there still remained time for another goal, but this time at the other end when a left wing corner was not properly deal with allowing the ball to fall to Lopez at the back post to at least give some consolation for his team’s hard fought afternoon’s efforts.
Team Kit Warner, S.Flisher, A.Foster, G.Andrews (R. Lyall) C.Croucher, M.Garne ((J.Rogers) R.Croucher ,M.Hathway P.Williams M.Weller, D.Baranowski, R.Collins

Subs; C.Allen