Match Photo's

First Team vs Lordswood

Match Date: 29 September 2018
Score: 4-3

Perhaps Lordswood should have done a bit more homework on their opponents, arriving on the back of 5 consecutive wins. Certainly their physicality and direct play might have suggested that that a win might be a formality? What maybe they hadn't accounted for was having to deal the trickery of Bearsted’s front line. However it was the host's who were to go close in the early stages and it took a smart save from Scott Andrews from Ricky Gundry to prevent them taking the lead. This privilege though was to fall to the visitors who were able to take the lead on 14 minutes, when a through ball from midfield put Constantine Scarlat in to run on goal to put the ball past advancing goalkeeper Tony Coxall to send the ball low into the net. Following this goal so came a period of end to end play during which time Joe Matthews found enough space to fire narrowly over the bar. However, generally the Bears’ defence were able to cope and at the other end they were still able to cause concern for the home defence and after 36 minutes they were to extend the lead, when a deep free kick was headed on by Cat Scarlet into the path of namesake Lucian to put the ball once more into the net. Unfortunately, for them though as the clock ran down, so on 45 minutes, came a significant, potential game changer, when a left wing corner into the area, found Caine Smith lurking to put the ball past Andrews.

As expected so Lordswood returned in determined fashion and after 55 minutes following another corner, came a penalty award which allowed Smith the opportunity of scoring his second of the afternoon. With the hosts now finding themselves on the front foot it needed a fine point blank save from a header onto the bar by Andrews and keeping the scoreline level. However although chances did arrive at the other end, notably when both Cat Scarlat and Ryan Croucher were to go close, it was their opponent's who were to go in front after 80 minutes, when a cross shot was cleared off of the line, only for Joe Kane to score what seemed the ultimate winner? Unfortunately though, this strike did seem to signal a spell of overly zealous play, during which time David Baranowskil was unable to take any further part in a game now seemingly heading for a home win. Funnily enough though the introduction of Reece Collins proved to be a positive move, so much so that after 86 minutes, Collins found himself clear in on goal, only for him to be pulled back by home skipper Peter Huggens to earn himself a red card. More punishing maybe, was that the resultant free kick was thrashed home from the edge of the area by Scatlat to earn a brace of his own. The remaining minutes after became a tense affair, but it was Bearsted who were to seal the game, when a free kick into the box caused enough confusion to leave Collins able to send the ball home from close range and to share the elation of both his team mates and the excellent coaching and encouragement received from his bench.

Team​S.Andrews, S.Flisher, R.Lyall, A.Foster ,C.Croucher, M.Garner (M.Hathway) J.Rogers ,R.Croucher, C.Scarlet (A.Ombo) D.Baranowski, (R.Collins) L.Scarlat

Subs;​​ M.Holliday, G.Andrews