Match Photo's

First Team vs Rusthall FC

Match Date: 06 October 2018
Score: 4-2

By Allan Hefferon

Certainly this Bearsted performance will not rank up there as one of their best as soon it became apparent that this game was going to be a difficult one to win. So much so that Rusthall should have gone in front early on when, first goalkeeper Kit Warner had to be at his best in preventing the excellent Regan Corke from scoring and then when a low header by Sam Murray hit the post before being cleared to safety. For the home side, they were often guilty of not maintaining possession and not being able to boss the midfield. It would be wrong to say that they did not have their chances, one of which coming when a Jon Rogers run took him into space only for him to send his shot high over the bar. However the deadlock was broken after 38 when a shot on goal was blocked only for the ball to fall into the path of Callum Ridley to score from 5 yards.

Following the half time break so home expectations were of better things, which to some extent did prove to be the case. However, once more this was not immediately to be a fact, when a run on goal by Eddie Sharman ended with him shooting into the side netting. This miss though did prove to be a pivotal point, as after 55 minutes t the hosts were to equalise, when a right wing run and cross by Reece Collins found Matt Garner arriving at the far post to send a magnificent volley high into the net. Interestingly enough this strike became a significant game changer as 4 minutes later Bearsted were to go in front, when Collins was released to run on goal to chip the ball over advancing goalkeeper Joe Cullip and into the net. Almost immediately after things were to get even worse for the Rusts, when Rogers thrashed a loose ball in from 12 yards to seemingly win the game. However their response was commendable, during which time they mounted several counter attacks and only had themselves to blame for not converting the chances in order to keep themselves in the Match. However the game was effectively won when David Baranowskil was put through by Aye Ombo to chase down a ball and cross for Collins to touch it over the line after 84 minutes. However with almost the last kick of the game, Sharman seized upon a loose pass to send home a shot from 25 yards to gain some scant consolation for his side's efforts of the afternoon. However in conclusion, one notable statistic worth a mention is that this result signalled the fifth time this season that Bearsted had come from behind to win a game which is recognition of the true spirit within.

Team K.warner, R.Borge(P.williams) A.Foster, G.Andrews ,C.Croucher, M.Hathway, J.Rogers, M.Garner, M.Holliday, C.Scarlet (A.Ombo) R.Collins, D.Baranowski
Subs; M.weller, J.Hurst