Match Photo's

First Team vs Glebe

Match Date: 10 November 2018
Score: 2-1

By Allan Hefferon

For any neutral supporter this could be deemed as being a very entertaining match, one of which the home side could feel very happy at taking all of the points. Indeed it was Glebe who could have gone in front during the opening minutes, when first Laurent Hamici picked up the ball on the right to run on to see his effort diverted onto the bar and in similar fashion Adi Mohamed was to be denied by great save by Scott Andrews. However with the momentum still with the visitors, Bearsted were to go in front after 10 minutes when following a foul on David Baranowski, the resultant free kick by Ryan Croucher was swept onto the head of an incoming Peter Williams to bullet the ball low into right hand corner of the net beyond the outstretched arm of goalkeeper Justice Owusu.This strike most certainly triggered off period of play during which time the visitor's defence was being tested to its’ full and the score should have been extended when Kaiyo Peeke found himself clear on goal only for keeper Owusu to save at his feet and then soon after when his skill took him in once more and for him to choose to pass instead of hitting the net. However although further opportunities were to fall to Baranowski and then when a goalbound free kick by Jamie Hurst was turned around the post by spectacular fashion. With the half time break now looming so it became important for both sides not to concede another goal at this critical stage and although Luke Miller was to go close the scoreline did happen to remain the same.

Following the resumption so Bearsted re-emerged in a positive manner and very soon after Reece Collins put in Williams to thrash the ball against an upright instead of finding the back of the net. However they were to extend their lead after 62 minutes when Baranowski seized the ball to run on and slot the ball to Peeke for him to put the ball past goalkeeper Owusu and set up a platform for his side to go on and win. That ambition though was to be threatened when 5 minutes later came a Glebe response, when a run into the penalty area by Miller was brought to an end by a Maxwell Smith tackle to concede a penalty and for Hamici to send the ball home from the spot and to set up a grand stand finale. This then became the case and with Bearsted now having to backtrack, the runs of Imead Kactita and Miller were having a particular effect in testing a home defence, who at times had to produce several timely interventions and whilst still having to maintain the necessary discipline and for them to be to see their opponents sending great opportunities over the bar. However as the clock ran down into time added on, so Bears very nearly went further in front when a shot on goal was parried into the path of Williams to send the ball wide of an inviting empty net, which fortunately bore no relevance as soon after followed the sound of the referee’s whistle and for all 3 points to secured.
Team S.Andrews, M.Smith, G.Andrews, J.Hurst, C.Croucher, B.Baranowski (M.Weller) R.Croucher, J.Rogers, R.Collins (J..Bessey-Sadanha) P.Williams, K.Peeke
Subs; J..Bessey-Sadanha, B.baranowski, J.Hyslop, R.Golding