Match Photo's

First Team vs Lordswood

Match Date: 16 February 2019
Score: 0-1

By Allan Hefferon

This was a particularly disappointing result for Bearsted after having previously twice beaten their opponents earlier in the season. However throughout most of the first half they looked to be more dominant in attack with the intricate play of both David Baranoski and James-Bessey-Saldanha and the willing runs of Reece Collins looking very promising. Unfortunately for them though they were never really able to capitalise on the chances falling their way, notably when Collins appeared to be upended when in on goal and then when Rob Lyall bulleted a headed over the bar from a left wing corner. As for Lordswood in reply they always looked to be dangerous on the break, an example of which coming when Evan Sahadow found himself in only to see his effort blocked on the line by Lyle before being scrambled to safety. Then in similar fashion it was George Sherminant who came to the rescue when blocking an effort by Jordan Wells.

Following the half time break so the visitors came out with a slightly different mindset and were able to seize more possession and build upon attack in a more positive way, so much so that they were able to force a run of great saves from Scott Andrews as they searched for an opener. As for the home side they did not seem able to have the same impact that they had during the first half and although the tie remained tight the deadlock was broken after 75 minutes Ricky Grundry took advantage of a misplaced pass to run on goal and send to ball past Andrews and into the net. Unfortunately for them though almost immediately after the Bears were to suffer another blow when an injury to Rob Lyall was to make their task a more difficult one. Interestingly enough this goal did somewhat have serve as a wakeup call as they once more they were able to put pressure on their opponents as they looked for an equaliser and several times were to go close and on one particular occasion their opponents had to thank their goalkeeper Dan Smith for producing a point blank save in denying Bessey-Saldanha from hitting the net. However perhaps the biggest disappointment came when they thought they had saved the game when Graeme Andrews got on the end of a right wing corning only to see his goalbound header being headed off of the line by Adam Hooper to ultimately win the game very soon after.

S.Andrews, M.Weller, G.Andrews,R.Lyal (Foster) G.Sheminant,J.Rogers M.Garner(P.Williams) R.Crouche J.Bessey-Saldanha, D.Baranowskil (L.Scarlat R.Collins

Subs: K.Delip C.Scarlat