Match Photo's

Second X1 vs Margate Sports Res

Match Date: 22 September 2018
Score: 3-1

Family commitments, injuries, geography and even Anthony Joshua were some of the reasons why our second XI were reduced to just 12 men this week, so we had to introduce 2 new signings, Kala & Kenny for their debuts. Kala to play at CB and Kenny who can play on either flank. It was not long before the pair begun to show their class with Kala winning his battles in the air and on the ground and quickly settling in and forming a solid partnership with Ben R, he was also showing great motivational and leadership qualities.

Kenny was beginning to get the better of his opposing full backs on both wings. It was Kenny's skill and quick feet that was to provide our first real chance, he collected the ball on the half turn from a midfield pass and surged forward beating 2 players before his run entered him into the left hand side of the area, beating his 3rd man he left the full back no choice but to bring him down - Penalty given and the full backs complaints bringing him a yellow card. Top scorer Chris Carcary stepped up for his second penalty of the season but see his spot kick saved by the opposing goalkeeper with a smart dive to his left. Some good football followed with both Chris and Kenny having shots from outside the area but up to this point to no avail. Margate began to come back into the game getting success down their right hand side and through the middle, forcing several corners in succession one of which brought a fine save from keeper Ben Cornelius tipping the ball over from a far post header. With pressure beginning to build from the home sides deep crosses we were being forced to defend more frequently, a deep cross from a free kick on the right hand side see Margate bundle the ball in for a 1 - 0 lead which arguably should have been disallowed for handball by the scorer but not seen nor given by the ref, so yet again a mountain to climb. Shortly after this brought which was to be a defining moment within the game. Kala was singled out by the referee and sent off for what no one can be entirely sure of. A bundle of players within our area causing a 10-15 man fracas and off the ball incidents which see Kala receive a red card - Bears down to 10 men and from this moment on sleeves were rolled up and a solid workman like performance commenced. Carcary with his head back in the game after a 2nd yellow card of the season began to run the front line constantly pressurising the back 4, Ellis Chidley and Charlie Busby began to show fantastic maturity by taking the control away from the Margate midfield winning their battles with great possession play, hard tackling and some great forward passing, skipper Harry Collins proving he has leadership skills and leading by example with constant organising, important interceptions and keeping possession. we finished the half 1-0 down but strangely enough knew we were not out of this. No need for the hairdryer this week but just a reminder that with self belief and a fully committed 10 we could turn this around, skipper Harry gathered his troops in the changing room with an inspiring speech before going in to battle, it worked - from our kick off Ellis Chidley laid the ball back 5 yards for Carcary to hit his shot from all of 55 yards out, a wicked deflection and an awkward bounce beat the keeper for his 3rd goal of the season - so back on level terms within a few seconds of the restart and the Bears with their tails up. from that point on it was pretty much one way traffic, Chidley & Busby still commanding the midfield, our front 3 Kaiyo, Kenny and Chris keeping the Margate back line under constant pressure with their endless running and with anything Margate could throw at us being mopped up by our very impressive back 4, Ako, Harry, Ben & Max. they were solid under pressure and confidence began to grow within our ranks. Kaiyo having run himself into the ground once again with an unselfish performance working for the team and his team mates was brought off for a well earned rest and Roan was introduced in a straight swap on the right hand side of midfield, a short through ball into the area for the on running Roan was to be the pass that brought our 2nd goal. Roan's control was a touch that took him past the incoming defender and opened the door for what was a great finish slotting it past the incoming keeper - 2-1 and Roan's 1st goal of the season. Confidence high and rising and the Bears now beginning to play the ball around and chances were beginning to come thick and fast. Carcary's constant running and battling saw him have a couple of chances with shots going wide and over, this before a ball from Chidley into the feet of Kenny on the half way line - Kenny's cheeky flick nut megged the on rushing defender who was the last man. Kenny's speed took him through on goal and with only the keeper to beat a deft touch over the oncoming keeper rounded off a real impressive debut for him 3-1 with 15 minutes left and it could have been more. Carcary choosing to shoot when perhaps a cross side rule pass into the area for the incoming Chidley that would have left him with an open goal was probably the better option, Kaiyo's pace on the left getting him through on goal twice late on only to foiled by the goalkeeper and a perfectly timed tackle by the Margate CB, so several chances late on but the score staying at 3-1.

This was a fully committed performance by all 12 players who deserve great credit as this was by far our finest display yet this season. Let's hope this is the turning point in the campaign an we go on a long run of top performances much like this one
Match report Brehnan Chidley