Match Photo's

Second X1 vs Rusthall Reserves

Match Date: 10 November 2018
Score: 2-3

2nd Vs 3rd, this was going to be a highly contested match and one we were looking forward too, being that our recent good run of form was to provide us with some high confidence. The match got of to a fast start with both teams prepared to impose a strong hold in the game very early with strong tackling and some good physical match ups around the pitch. An early incident in our final 3rd saw what was to be a huge turning point within the game as an exchange of words between our own Ellis Chidley and an over exuberant referee see him hand out 2 yellow cards in very quick succession to give Ellis his early shower, this in only the 7th minute leaving us what was to be a long afternoon and a uphill battle. We as a team from that point that rolled our sleeves up, got on with the task at hand and for the next 15-20 minutes were definitely the better side. Kenny latching on to a quality through ball from Harry Collins which left him 1 on 1 with only the keeper to beat but the keeper matching his effort with a fine diving save to his left, the same outcome was to be when Brodie Fernandes broke through from midfield to see his own 1 on 1 effort foiled by the keeper, this time to his right hand side - at this point the keeper was having a worldy. Chris Carcary found himself unmarked at the back post from a corner to see his header sail over the bar when perhaps he could have forced the keeper into action. It was then when we thought this definitely was not going to be our day, with gaps beginning to appear through our midfield and defense due to lack of numbers Ben Cornelious was called into action twice in quick succession. Saving from point blank range with the first effort from just inside the 6 yard box, with the 2nd chance there was nothing he could do. Rusthall having a 1 on 1 chance of there own and making no mistake. We switched off and were punished accordingly. 1-0 down and seemingly out of the game as heads went down. it was in this period of the game that Rusthall gained their 2nd goal, the ball somehow ending up in and around our goal mouth with the Rusthall striker being in the right place at the right time to toe poke in for the 2nd - a double wammy with around 10 mins to go in the first half. This seemed to have a positive effect on us as we gained a small foothold in the game for these last 10 minutes with plenty of possession and forcing some opportunities to get the ball in the final 3rd of the pitch. Chris Carcary putting the back line under pressure at every opportunity and Brodie Fernandes getting some joy against what seemed a tiring Rusthall midfield, both having long range efforts unfortunately for us not troubling the keeper. Half time 2-0

The 2nd half started much like the first half ended. the introduction of Aye at center forward made a instant impact as he started to win headers enabling us to expose some spaces in Rusthall's final third, but back came Rusthall with a sucker punch as from their first attack of the half they forced a corner, from this they found a player unmarked at the back post who sent a well placed powerful header into the top corner to make it 3-0. Our Bears could then have been excused at this point for thinking this will end up a complete drubbing but the efforts from our boys never faltered and we continued to impose pressure on the Rusthall back line, continuous encouragement from the side lines installing the belief that we still had plenty to play for paid off. A great through ball from our midfield was latched onto be Shaun Dowling who continued his run into the area and finished very neatly placing the ball under the keeper to make it 3-1, very quickly after that Kenny had a great opportunity to make it 3-2, yet again the keeper stopping what was a great effort from Kenny coming in from the right to hit a powerful shot at the keeper and even getting his foot to the rebound but our luck just was not in it seemed as the ball went agonisingly wide. We continued to push as Sam Capper pounced onto a loose ball on the half way line and knocked an inch perfect pass through the middle for the well timed run of Brodie Fernandes who beat his defender and knocked a great pass accross the 6 yard box for the incoming Aye who tapped the ball in for what was the goal of the game and 3-2 it was with approx 7 or 8 minutes left on the clock. Unfortunately that was to be the final score as chances then became a little scarce and the Rusthall defense stood a little to strong for us in the final stages but what started off very poorly there were plenty of positives for us and notably the camaraderie, the boys dug in and should be proud.