Match Photo's

First Team vs AFC Croydon Athletic

Match Date: 05 February 2019
Score: 1-3

By Allan Hefferon

Although Bearsted started in a spirited fashion it soon became apparent, with their style of play on a heavy pitch, being matched against the physical presence of most of their opponents that this was always going to be a difficult game to win. However during these early stages the trickery of front men Lucian Scarlat, David Baranowski and James Bessey-Saldanha was causing particular problems and they should have gone in front on several occasions. Unfortunately for them though, following the breakup of such an attack, the ball found Abbas Agoro in midfield to find Mahan Green to run free to send the ball past Scott Andrews into the net after 15 minutes on the clock. Things then got even worse 10 minutes later when once more in a similar fashion; a break down the right was brought to an end by a free kick, which in turn found Green on hand to put the ball into the net. As for the home side, they were becoming more and more frustrated by not being able decrease the lead, whilst at the same time finding themselves so vulnerable to being caught on the break, an example of which being just before half time when Jordan Greaves almost added another goal by sending a header narrowly over the bar.

For a while following the re-start, so the hosts returned in a positive fashion and almost immediately scored when a Reece Collins effort came close to pulling a goal back and then soon after a run on goal by John Rogers was brought to an end by a particular ugly challenge, only for him to be dismayed by the remarkable decision to hand him a yellow card for simulation? Further chances were to come their way but once more, after 65 minutes the ball was sent up field to find Green to complete his hat-trick to effectively win the game. Although Bearsted's reply was commendable they still could not break down a determined defence but did however get some consolation after 88 minutes when a Rob Lyall shot was parried away by goalkeeper Danny Carpanin for the ball to fall into the path of Peter Williams to score from close range.

S.Andrews, M.Weller,Foster,R.Lyall,G.Sheminant,J.Rogers, M.Garner (R.Croucher) D.Baranowskil, C.Scarlat (P.Williams) L.Scarlat (R.Collins)

Subs: G.Andrews, M.Hathway