Match Photo's

Second X1 vs Margate Reserves

Match Date: 23 February 2019
Score: 2-1

Saturday saw the 2nd XI host rejuvenated Margate Sports side who have managed some very notable results in recent weeks. With what is a slim chance of promotion for the bears in the offering a strongly contested game was to be the order of the day. With a controlled start and some neat possession football we began to create a few chances in the first 20 mins, notably when Shaun Dowling went on a mazy run down the left and delivered a great cross into the box which was met at the far post by Charlie Busby sliding in, only to see this effort rebound off the post and out for a goal kick, the pressure continued with some deep crosses from both sides all being gathered by the safe hands of the Margate keeper who seemed to be in fine form, also saving at the feet of Brodie Fernandes not once but twice.
In the opinion of all that was watching and even some opposing players, we were denied which seemed to be a definite penalty when Roan Ferguson got brought down wide in the penalty area, all watching fully expected the referee to point to the spot but he deemed it to be outside of the area and all we got from this was a free kick which unfortunately fizzled out to nothing. Our continuing pushing for an opener left some space for the Margate No 9 and it was this space that was exploited with him running onto a fine through ball and sliding a well executed finish past Ben Cornelious from the edge of the box. Great finish but slightly against the run of play but 1-0 down at half time and a very familiar story for us, great possession play but little to show for it. Some motivational speaking, a change of personnel and formation brought much the same in the second half. The introduction of Aye seemed to give the Margate back 4 something different to think about. it wasn't long before sleeves were rolled up and the proverbial digging in and grinding out a result started. Much more physical effort started to get us a stronger hold of the game. Man of the match and our skipper Harry started to command and dominate in the air at center back which seemed to breed a little more confidence throughout the team and we started to win our individual battles all across the pitch. Some tough tackling from the midfield duo of Ellis and Charlie and the never ending running of Brodie, Tommy and Shaun Dowling begun to put severe pressure on the Margate side for which they had no answer and the frustration was beginning to show. Several corners and free kicks were won offering the opportunity to get some crosses into the area but still the goal keeper kept gathering. It was a corner that was to be our inlet and gave Shaun Dowling the chance to put yet another fine cross into the danger area, Aye winning the header at the near post which seemed to cause all kind of trouble for the Margate defenders and some how the ball pin balled around eventually arriving at Brodie who slotted home from less than a yard out to bring us level at 1-1 and with all to play for and momentum firmly with the bears. We continued to play attractive football in the hope of opportunity but it was yet another scramble that brought us our winner. A long Sean Halls throw was hurled into the box getting flicked on at the near post by the impressive Aye who sore his flick landing at Shaun Dowling's feet at the far post who had no hesitation in smashing the ball home from 6 yards leaving us 15 minutes to hold on and see out the fixture. Chances were to follow also but not before the Margate No 9 getting dismissed for foul and abusive language. He really should not have been on the pitch at all at this stage after his deliberate elbow across the face of Charlie Busby in the first half (yet again seen by all except the ref). Some neat play saw what could have been a contender for our goal of the season. Tidy play at the back and a great down the line pass from Bart brought a great first time control from Shaun D whose impeccable touch and with back to goal took him away from the advancing left back and curled a left footed shot from all of 25 yards to the far post but narrowly missing the upright with the keeper well beaten, this would have been the icing on the cake but 2-1 it finished and team spirit firmly restored.

Our chance of promotion still exists COYB!!!!!!!!