Match Photo's

First Team vs Hollands & Blair

Match Date: 31 August 2019
Score: 4-3

By Allan Hefferon

History tells us that this fixture is always a close affair not without surprises of some sort and this particular game had plenty of that. However, as has been the case over recent games Bearsted have started very brightly and this certainly was to be the case, when almost immediately after the kick off Emmanuel Olunasemo chased down a ball down the right, to set up James Besse Salbahma for him to run on and send his shot against the bar. The momentum at this stage was to continue and with their opponents trying to create genuine goal scoring opportunities. However the breakthrough was to come after 18 minutes when Salbahma picked up the ball on the left to run across the edge of the box before sending the ball into net past a diving Adam Highsted. The score was further increased though just 5 minutes later when once more Olunasemo outpaced his marker down the left to cross into the path of Salbahma put the ball into the net past the unprotected Highsted. As for Blaire they did try to manufacture some kind of response and did manage to go close at times, notably when Harry Goodyear set up Liam Stone to fire narrowly wide of the post.
Following the half time break so the home side continued in a similar fashion and they were able to extend the lead further, when a loose cross field ball was anticipated by Lucian Scarlat to skip over the challenge of Sam Welch to run on to the byline to set up Olunasemo to put the ball into the net. All now looked set for a Bears victory which unfortunately for them this was not to be the case as a certain amount lethargy crept into their game and after 52 minutes they were punished when Ethan Stuart sent in a cross that was not well defended and for Jack Simon to fire into the net. Immediately after the visitors had thank their goal keeper Highsted for producing a great save from a Salbahma free kick to keep the game alive. Indeed this signalled a serious comeback and when Harry Goodyear sent in a low free kick past the rooted Andrews after 58 minutes. Following this strike so the possibility of an equaliser which was to come after 70 minutes when a cross from the right found Goodyear to set up Byron Walker to manufacture an opportunity to put the ball into the net from close range. From here the game was heading for a real upset and this almost arrived when a left wing corner fond the head of Callum Mcgeehan to score only for the referee to penalise him for a push on Lekan Majayebe. Unfortunately for Blaire their joy was not to last when due to a lack of concentration after some protracted celebrations, they were to be caught cold by a free kick sending Salbahma down the right shrug off the challenge of Camoran Heffernan to cross to the incoming Lucian Scarlat to score from a tight angle after 85 minutes to take home all the points.
Team; S.Andrews, S.Flisher, L.Majayebe, R.Croucher ,C.McCarthey,J.Rogers K.McFarlane M.Dalton, D.Baranowski (K.McFarlane),J.Besse Salbahma, E.Olunasemo L.Scarlat
Subs; S.Adams J.Ladlow, R.Collins