Match Photo's

First Team vs Erith Town

Match Date: 09 November 2019
Score: 2-1

Considering the fact that this game was played throughout on a rain soaked surface, due credit must go to both sides. However it might be said that these conditions might have suited the preferred passing game of the visitors which allowed good possession in midfield compared to that of the hosts more direct approach of seeking out their front runners, which unfortunately for them saw the pace off of the surface affecting many of their passes being over-hit and running straight through to safety. Having said this, Erith did find themselves going ahead after 12 minutes when a free kick on the left by Harry Gamble was swept into the box to find the head of Michael Power in enough space to send the ball into the net. Fortunately for Bearsted though they were not daunted by this setback and to continued their approach play which did see numerous goal scoring opportunities not coming to fruition, mainly due to a combination of missed-placed final balls and some stout defending. However home goalkeeper Tommy Taylor has to take the credit for producing a great save diving low to his right to deny Lucian Scarlat and just before half time Norbert Bobomurodov sent a shot high over the bar instead of finding the back of the net.
The resumption after the break presented a challenge for both same for Town having to maintain their lead and for the Bears looking at breaking down a determined defence. Indeed their worst nightmare nearly came true, when following the breakdown of an attack the ball was sent up field for Steadman Callender to exploit a defensive slip and for him to run clear on goal and for Scott Andrews to produce a great save and keeping his side still in the game. However after 59 minutes Bearsted at last got their reward when a Scarlat run from the left provided the opportunity to find Ryan Croucher to set up James Bessey-Saldanha to seize the ball and send it into goal. With the score now even it took only 3 minutes for game’s status to change, when following some great work from Matt Garner in midfield, he was able to feed the ball through to Peter Williams to run in from the left before sending the ball past the advancing Taylor. Interestingly enough so the response from the home side was a positive one and during this spell they were able to play with more composure and begin to create a few problems for their opponents, particularly from the long throws into the box by Miles Keizer Burrows and when a headed lob by Danny Phillips found the top of bar. However at the other end Bobomurodov found himself in a great position to seal the game after being set Scarlat to send ball narrowly over the bar. Following this and with the clock now running deep into time added on, Erith were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area which they were not able to capitalise on this opportunity which perhaps might have been a travesty had it gone in?