Match Photo's

First Team vs Chatham Town

Match Date: 16 November 2019
Score: 1-3

By Allan Hefferon

As was to be the case 4 days earlier Bearsted had well matched their opponents and were the team who were extremely unlucky to not come out of this game pointless. Also, as before, this game was to be a close affair as the ball flowed from end to end, during which time seeing both sides going close. However after 20 minutes Chatham who were to go in front when a deep cross was not sufficiently dealt found the head of Paul Vines lurking at the far post to score from close range. Things though were to get even better for the hosts when 10 minutes later minutes later in an identical fashion a deep free kick from the left this time Pat Geddis to head to ball unchallenged into the net. To their credit the visitors stuck at their task and reacting in a positive fashion, so much so that they were to go close on several occasions, notably when James Bessey-Saldanha shot over as well as Emmanuel Oluwasemo sent the ball narrowly wide. However their best opportunity came after 46 minutes when home goalkeeper Jordan Carey pulled down Oluwasemo to concede a penalty, the outcome of which allowed him to make amends saving the spot kick by Saldanha. Remarkably the irony of the situation came immediately after, when the ball was picked up by Jack Evans on the half way line to send the ball directly towards goal which somehow deceived away goalkeeper Toby Smith and for the ball to go straight into the net.
Following the resumption after the break so the visitors came out in a positive mood and after 3 minutes they were to pull a goal back in a bizarre fashion following a handling infringement by Carey,the result of which seeing a free kick awarded inside the penalty area. As protestations raged so the kick was quickly taken which fell the feet of Oluwasemo and to see him, not for the first time, being hauled to the ground by Carey, which in turn allowed him to score from the spot. Buoyed by this success so the momentum of the game was to favour the Bears and right up to the final whistle they were to create numerous chances to score, but by the same token they were on occasions having to deal with the Chatham wing breaks and opportunities of extending their lead.