Match Photo's

Second X1 vs Larkfield & New Hythe Wanderers

Match Date: 14 September 2019
Score: 4-3

With our third game of the season, we see ourselves playing away to newly-promoted Larkfield and New Hythe and welcomed first-team players Perry Cray and Matthew Garner to the fold in what is to be an exciting match up.
We started the match playing nowhere near our fullest capabilities as within mere seconds Larkfield found themselves 1-0 up before we even got a touch on the ball and this was to demonstrate the tempo of our fortunes for the match ahead. We started to get our foot on the ball but were unable to play the way we are used to and our structure dwindled ever so slightly due to being shocked that we conceded so early on, we still found ourselves not in the races and after a few minutes they then scored their second goal to which was again due to us not being ready and making constant mistakes still throughout the game.
 Once the second goal went in we then started to switch on and play to our best and work as hard as we could, we started creating chances and threatening the goalkeeper who was always on hand to collect any loose balls from our crosses. Rhys Powell constantly making runs down the right flank added an extra dimension to our game as he created width when our right-winger would tuck inside to attack the half-space. Constant link-ups between Harry, Jake and Chris in the middle made it hard for us to be broken down and remaining compact opened up channels for our fullbacks and wingers to run into. We then found a way into the game as Roan was played in on goal and tucked it away to make the score 2-1.
 We then started creating threatening chances and wasting golden opportunities, Roan was played the ball and from one yard out missed the target, phoenix scuppering a few chances and a few hopeful but wasteful long shots allowed the goalkeeper to rest easy knowing we never truly threatened after that. Suddenly another long ball down the channel as we were expecting proved to be our downfall as our defence made another mistake and failed to be strong enough to get the ball out 3-1 to the hosts Larkfield.
Halftime we came out all guns firing! We looked like monsters in comparison to our first-half performance and were rewarded early in the 60th minute when Fraser rose above the pack meeting a perfected cross from Rhys Powell to nod it away. 3-2 and the comeback was on, we were pouncing on opportunities keeping the ball well and pushing for the win.
 The super-sub Miro proved to be the ultimate breaker of the match and turned the game on a spin, coming on for Roan he instantly made an impact following in a loose ball and tucking it past the keeper with 15 minutes to spare. 3-3 GAME ON!
Chances started to dwindle as our legs tired, a few fresh legs came on, Harry Evans, James Benge proved to be solid and allowed us to settle with the ball again, then came the 80th minute a scrappy middle battle created a ball over the top for miro who chased it down with the keeper fast approaching with the outside of the foot and at a disadvantaged angle he lofts it over the keeper to make it 4-3!! What a comeback.
 Ten minutes remained and the tension of the match overspilled arguments and red cards for both sides but the main thing stays true three points were well deserved and earned.