Match Photo's

First Team vs Corinthian

Match Date: 14 March 2020
Score: 1-2

It did not take long for the drama to start in this encounter.
The visitors were on the front foot from the first whistle, making early advances forward with Lucian Scarlet looking lively with a couple of runs, and it came as a shock to the hosts when he (Lucian) received the ball in the middle of the park setting of on a run that took him past 4 defenders and into the Corinthian penalty area where he was abruptly stopped and a penalty was given, Lucian gratefully converted the penalty he worked so hard for. 0 - 1
This early action seemed to inspire the home side into action, and with the advantage of the
Slope made a number of attacks towards the Bears' goal, although final ball and wayward shooting prevented the hosts from taking advantage against the Bears' make shift back four
Who were now starting to settle into their roles. Attacking wise the visitors were also causing a few problems for the home side particularly the runs of Baranowski and Scarlet causing all sorts of problems for Corinthian right back Alexander Jack Billings who when after another left wing run from Scarlet the defender went straight over the top of the ball with his tackle to leave his opponent crumpled on the ground, this earned him a straight red card.20 mins.
As the game wore on neither side were able to dominate proceedings with few chances being creates at either end. This was to dramatically change though with the half hour mark approaching the home side mounted a couple of attacks one of which earned them an equalising goal when the Bears' seemingly coping with the pressure and plenty of bodies behind the ball were unable to clear their lines and Luke Tanner was able to poke home the
Equaliser. 27 mins. Sadly this seemed to stun the visitors and they allowed exactly the same thing to happen 2 mins later and Jack Trueman was able to score and put the home side in front, 29 mins 2 - 1'
The bear’s response was positive, they went in search of an equalising goal and the home side were now forced to close their ranks. It was during this period of Bearsted throwing everything forward into the Corinthian half that a strange thing happened when after a Bears' attack broke down, the home goal keeper was on the ground, the referee stopped the game, he apparently had something in his eye, this rather conveniently allowed the home side to be called together for a group meeting to one side of the pitch, After a lengthy period of treatment the game went on for another few minutes when it was now half time, very bizarre. HT 2 - 1.

The second half continued in much the same fashion. Corinthian with the lead, were not giving much away. You know when you play the Hoops, they have a way of slowing games down, stopping the opposition getting any head of steam etc. etc. It is to the Bears' credit that they stuck to their task and kept plugging away pushing forward creating some half chances and notably on 56 Jon Rogers fired in a great volley which flashed just wide.
For all their effort the Bears struggled for a break through although when they did, David Baranowski great strike hit the upright 68 mins
As the game went in to the final 15 mins the home side were seemingly content to sit on their lead, but a very rare home attack saw them awarded a penalty 86 mins. The spot kick was superbly saved by Ethan Collen in the Bears' goal, this capped a fine display by the youngster who had been calm and in control whilst being put under immense pressure on every corner and free kick, without much protection from the officials.
This save inspired a frantic last 10 mins with the Bears' throwing everything forward and the hosts desperately defending their goal and continuing to take their time over everything.
As the game went in to time added on the writing was on the wall when yet again David Baranowski fired a tremendous from 20 yards and with the keeper beaten it struck the cross bar and away to safety.
The Bears' should have got something from the game, the ever honest Corinthian manager Michael Golding will know that, his side looked a bit nervy but to quote Michaels programme
notes they were desperate for the 3 points. Final score 2 - 1.