Match Photo's

First Team vs Erith Town

Match Date: 03 October 2020
Score: 2-2

This was definitely the worst the Bears' have started a game this season.
Erith Town started much the brighter, whilst the Bears' were all over the place, lacking any shape and composure. The visitors sensed this and pushed on at every opportunity, looking lively against the struggling home side. . It was no great surprise then when the lively Steadman Callender took advantage of some sloppy home defending to score a very scrappy goal to give the visitors the lead 16 mins 0 - 1.
This didn't do much to inspire the Bears' into a re-action and they continued desperately to get into the game. Erith though were still pushing on and Steadman again scored with a fine drive into the Bears' net from 12 yards 24 mins 0 - 2.
This did produce something of a change from the home side realising that if they didn’t, things would get a lot worse.
With 25 mins gone the Bears' started to get some possession, and make a contest of the game, and getting forward and asking questions of the till now un- tested Erith defence.
On one of these Bears' attacks, skipper Jon Rogers set off on a 40 yard run into the heart of the Erith defence where he did exceptionally well to set up Jez Hammond to fire home from 12 yards, 37 mins 1 - 2.
This gave the Bears' a life line going in 1 - 2 at the break.
The second period was a much more even affair, with the Bears' upping their game, and producing some of the stylish play we have started to get used to in recent games
Jez Hammond was unlucky not to score another when he rose high to power a great header
against the Erith cross bar and away to safety 47 mins .The home side were now matching the visitor’s efforts and playing much better.
As the half played out the game did become quite stretched and the clichéd " the next goal is the all-important one" could be heard from various quarters around the ground.
Fortunately it was to be the Bears' that would get that goal, on 65 mins Tom Penfold was to fire one of his trade mark left footers goal wards to bring the scores level 65 mins 2 - 2, there was a suggestion the shot went in off a defender for an own goal ?
Indeed a winner for the Bears' looked inevitable when Andy Irvine rose to send his free header over the bar.
The game was played out with the Bears enjoying' most of the possession, but unable to find a winner 2 - 2, probably a fair result on the day.

It's worth noting that the Bears' were forced into using their 4th goal keeper in 6 games when
giving Jamie Gillen his debut today, well done Jamie for a strong and confident performance,
welcome to the club.

Bearsted:- Jamie Gillen, Harrison Hatfull, Lekan Mayjoyegbe, Jez Hammond, Callum McCarthy,
Tom Penfold, Jon Rogers, Stephen Hafner, Cat Scarlett, David Baranowski, Reece Collins.

Andy Irvine for Cat Scarlett.
Elyon Marshall-Katung for Stephen Hafner
Jason Dawson for Reece Collins.
Adesina Luqman
Joel Wakefield.